We will be having our last regular troop meeting of the 2017/2018 scouting year, this Thursday at 7:00pm - Sacred Heart Parish Hall.
Here are this week's announcements:
25th Anniversary Celebration
Dinner and End of Year Court of Honor
Saturday, June 23, 2018
6:00 - 9:00pm
Sacred Heart Parish Hall
53 Oak Street, Middleboro, MA
1) Merit Badges: All Scouts are reminded that they are responsible for completing the work to earn merit badges. Anyone participating in the Communications or Personal Management Merit Badges should be working on the badge requirements and bringing in your work for Mr. Devine and/or Mrs. Swindle to see your progress. Bring in whatever you have done and the remainder will have to wait for the fall.
2) Summer Camp: Please remember that summer camp will be here in no time! Troop 20 will be at Camp Squanto the week of August 5 - 11. Details are as follows:
- The cost will be $425 per scout - Includes Troop 20 Class B T-Shirt and Camp Photo.
- At a minimum, a deposit of $200 per scout is due no later than June 23rd, 2018.
- Please be aware that $50 of your deposit is non-refundable.
- If possible, we would prefer to have the full amount due on June 23rd.
- All Scouts must be paid in full no later that July 15th, 2018.
- Balances can be mailed to:
82 Miller Street
Middleboro, MA 02346
- If you would prefer, you can call Sherri at 508-930-4889 if you would like to meet to deliver the balance due.
- We need a minimum of 8 scouts to attend for us to keep all of our scouts together in one camp site. If we do not have enough Scouts or leaders, our scouts will be split up among other troops in camp that week.
- All Scouts were provided a letter to give to their parents. This letter talks about summer camp and explains how parents can help. We always need as much help as we can get.
- Every Scout was also provided the list of merit badges being offered during summer camp and a worksheet to fill out with their merit badge choices. If you have not yet done so, you need to pick your merit badges for camp. The older Scouts and leaders can work with the newer Scouts to help make sure they are making appropriate choices for merit badges. Some merit badges may require Scouts to have additional money with them to pay for supplies needed to complete the merit badge.
- IMPORTANT: Troop 20 must have a current medical form on file with all parts (A, B, & C) completed and signed. No Exceptions.
- We will have a pre-camp meeting sometime in the mid to late July timeframe. Date & Location will be posted on the blog.
All of our Scouts have a great time at camp and the Leadership of Troop 20 believes that every Scout should attend, especially our newest Scouts. It's a great opportunity to immerse yourself in what Boy Scouts are all about and build lasting friendships with Scouts from Troops all over. Additionally, the new scouts will earn their totin chit and fireman chit to make them qualified to have a pocket knife and help tend our camp fires. It's also a great way to earn merit badges to help you rank up quick!
NOTE: We still need adults to help provide leadership and supervision for the week of camp. We need 2 deep leadership at all times (both during the day as well as overnight). If you are able to help out, please email Larry Pierce at: email@example.com with your availability. We will be putting together a master calendar with all of our adults that will be at camp and sharing that with adults so that you can see where we may still need assistance for the week.
3) Eagle Scout Project: Thomas Devine will be starting his Eagle Scout project on Saturday, June 30th. Thomas will be rehabilitating the message board at the Wareham Street Herring run (47 Wareham Street). Any Scouts who would like to help out Thomas should be at the Herring run at 9:00am on Saturday the 30th. Note, this is the Wareham Street herring run, next to the Municipal Light Plant, and not the one on Route 44. Scouts should wear clothes you do not mind getting dirty (a class B t-shirt if you have it is appropriate), and bring a pair of work gloves and eye protection. Additional information will be posted in the coming weeks but please put this on your calendar and plan to come help out Thomas!
4) Eagle Scout Fundraiser: Eric Grady will be holding a fund raiser to help raise money for his upcoming Eagle Scout Project. Highlights are:
- This is the John T. Nichols Middle School Landscape Project Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser.
- It will be held at the Middleboro VFW Hall on Friday, June 29th, 2018 from 6-9PM
- Cost will be $10 per person and includes a dinner menu of Spaghetti, Meatballs, Bread, Desserts, and Drinks.
5) End of Year Review Survey: Eric Grady has asked that all scouts please take a few moments to complete an end of year survey. This survey will help him know how things went this past year and where we need to focus our efforts to improve next year. Please help him out and the incoming Troop Leadership.
That's all for now. We look forward to seeing everyone on Thursday for our last Troop meeting and then again on Sunday for our end of year Court of Honor and celebration of our Troop's 25th anniversary!!